June 28, 2005

Miracles

I couldn't believe this! I saw rainbows today again, not once, but twice! My third rainbow in a week, and yes, a real stormy week. I just think this is a sign, a silver lining in the midst of my recent upheavals of life.

I text Him immediately when I was first greeted by it while driving down to the mall last Friday. Right across the sky, magnificent and enchanting, a colourful trail of goodness of life and spirit. I wanted so much to share my elation with a loved one, and the first person I thought of was Him. Optimism prevailed despite the gloomy rain that had descended on our path of whirlwind love and romance.

I spotted it again today while on my way to work. A swift glance as I zoomed down the quiet road, in the midst of the stacked houses. Then at the T-junction across the lake, another presented before my full view, captivating and awesome as it arched gracefully into the clear crystal blue waters. I savoured every minute of the spectacular sight before making the turn reluctantly towards my destination.

It was amazing that none of my colleagues and friends whom I had asked saw the beauty of nature. It was a heavenly gift, and as one lovely nursing staff put it, they were meant specially for me.

Another friend was curious why I would be so excited and charmed by the rainbows, like a little girl who chanced upon a tiara. "Don't you have that in Singaland as well, or any parts of the world?" Well, I guess it was the state of mind and circumstance during which they appeared.

Have I ever stopped by the road and count the colours of the rainbow? Or listen to the melodious chirpings of the birds? Or smell the sweet scent of the roses? I had clearly been drowned by the stifling pursuits of the rat race back home and engulfed by the fiery flames of stress and dissatisfaction. How can I forget the miraculous 7 wonders of the world, which are To SEE, SMELL, HEAR, FEEL, TOUCH, TASTE and LOVE? I am beginning to slowly achieve each one of them with delight and relish.

My heart is now dancing to the oh-so-familiar tune of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". What a classic...

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
(by Harold Arlen and lyrics by E.Y. Harburg)

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?