June 26, 2005

Beyond Words

A good pal of mine who finally decided to glance through my blog yesterday, after giving it the haughty shun for so long, protested with childlike jealousy: "How come you mentioned J** and E****, but you didn't write anything about me? I'm also your good friend, right?"

I muttered beneath my breath: "I believe my fingers will be arthritic within a month if I have to dedicate an article to every one of my friends in this world..."

But I reckon that perhaps I should have mentioned her at some stage. She, who had stood by me all these years, through my ups and downs in my professional and social lives. Someone whom I had only become closely acquainted with during my medical school days, despite knowing each other since we were 13. One who can probably read my mind more than anyone else in this world (perhaps other than Him now) and whom I had shared lots of quality moments with, as well as with her beloved grandpa who was so dearly adorable.

Our friendship has clearly progressed beyond words. No amount of writing can adequately express the deep bond that we have built up over the last decade of our lives.

She had gone through some emotional turmoils as well, being involved in major tussles with her anal-retentive family, over the love of her life. She is still stuck in the rut unfortunately, unable to break free from their tight and stifling reins. She would have succumbed miserably to their constant smothering pressures, if not for our undying support and encouragement, and most significantly, his affections for her.

I have quoted this previously, and will dedicate it to her once again:

"To dream anything that you want to dream. That is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do. That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits. That is the courage to succeed."

You do have my heartfelt blessings, my dear friend. And I hope you will read my blog this time.