June 16, 2005

Tints

I find this encounter so hilarious, yet frustrating simultaneously.

I was examining an elderly patient, a "regular" of the hospital. He had relocated himself and his family 8 years ago from South Africa. His wife was British.

"Are you from China?" he asked me casually, while I was going through the routine.

"No," I replied curtly, with lingering distaste. I never particularly liked being asked that question.

"Good. So you are not a Chinese spy..." He was referring indirectly to the recent report of a young Chinese diplomat and his family seeking political asylum from the Australian Immigration Department after defecting from his post in the Chinese Embassy. I could almost sense the subtle contempt and ridicule beneath his chuckle.

I continued to ignore him and carried on with my examination.

"So where did you come from?" He could not contain his curiosity any further.

"I am from Singapore." I answered with immensed pride in my tone.

The following remarks from his wife jolted me, sending shivers from my spine.

"So you are not a Singaporean spy, I hope..."

Duh...*shaking head in disbelief*

"Prejudice, not being founded on reason, cannot be removed by argument." -Samuel Johnson, English poet, Critic, Writer 1709-1784