September 23, 2005

Tired?

I do feel tired. Despite having survived 5 arduous years of lengthy 30-odd hours of on-calls back home, at least 4 times monthly, sometimes without sleep in between, I still get pretty cranky whenever I have to deal with another evening shift or off-site call nowadays. Even though they are heaps less hectic, with shorter hours. Not withstanding the grossly pathetic renumerations that come with them. I think my stamina is truly draining dramatically and my aged cells shrivelling with apoptosis.

I told Him I wouldn't mind being a housewife. I'd rather be at home manhandling four tyranny brats (if it even included the male origin of their Y-chromosomes), than to wait with dreaded anticipation for the nuisance beeps or phone calls from the hospital. We medics all share a similar sentiment: We just feel like smashing those damned ringing machines against the walls most of the time.

He said I will be bored to death at home. Then I will start having wild imaginations, strange misconceptions and unsubstantiated suspicions about Him. And there will be endless arguments and domestic fights...he will end up sleeping on the couch in the living room...No, no, he said, "You need to work!"

My mum just reiterated the above during our conversation. You should work for at least another two years, she said, when my neurons are still wired and my cortex not atrophied. Darn, for once, I think my mum and boyfriend are going to get along well for the same cause.

I ought to be thankful that I am in the pink of health and still capable of contributing to society and mankind. An ex-classmate from medical school, now a proud father of three and a newly-groomed psychiatrist, advised me two years ago: "Never say you are tired and need a rest. I said that and it really happened; Struck with a spinal tumour, requiring surgery and radiotherapy...more than ample rest in the last 6 months! So, always be grateful that God wants you to work." His words held weighted truth and wisdom.

So here I am, counting my lucky stars, that I have been blessed with valuable job opportunities in the beautiful land of Oz, and having met my gem and greatest love here.

What's there to complain? The beepers or mobiles can carry on shrieking. At least I know I am not deaf!