April 29, 2004

Hobart - The Blooming Tasmania

I made my way to Hobart the next day, Tasmania's south and capital city, about 2 hours' coach ride away. I had planned to explore the Freycinet National Park in the east originally but changed my mind after the rigorous trekking at Cradle Mountain. The picture of two persons hanging free from the cliffs in the brochure obviously did not make it more appealing to me, at least not that point. I concluded that I would make my trip back there once I have built up my stamina and ready for the 6-day trek at Cradle.

Hobart was cool! I loved the place instantly when I reached there. It was cosmopolitan, bustling and lively. For once I saw more Asians since the beginning of my trip, probably due to the presence of the University of Tasmania at Sandy Bay, another happening location with rows of stylish boutiques and gift shops. The gracious homes and colonial buildings, like Launceston, were erected on slopes ( think of San Francisco). I guess I am a city girl afterall.

Like Launceston, every destination here was within a hop and a skip with a self-guided walking map. I strolled to Battery Point, Hobart's trendiest residential address, flavoured with cottages of Georgian architecture and some of Hobart's most popular restaurants. The colourful autumn leaves formed palatable garnish to the backdrop. I was eventually led to the Princes Park and the Salamanca Place made up of mellow sandstone facades of historic warehouses. I would have missed the famous Salamanca Market which took place only on Saturdays and promised exciting sounds, sights, actions and colours of Australia's best outdoor market. Nevertheless I was contented with the downtown shopping at the Elizabeth Mall which was also the business heart of Hobart.

My abode in Hobart would be another lodge situated up on a hill, next to the Royal Botanical Gardens and overlooking the University Rose Garden. It was a Victorian house built in 1880 and owned by a middle-aged couple who had been residing in Kuala Lumpur and Victoria in their working days, before eventually settling down in Tasmania for its serenity and unhurried lifestyle. Mr and Mrs Jones were hospitable and cooked the best continental breakfast I've ever tasted. It was also in the lodge that I met a humble couple from Perth during breakfast. They had never visited Singapore but had heard of our "fines" policy and "over-controlling" government. I had to be politically correct, being an automatic ambassador of my country in a foreign land, and was rather amused when they excitedly informed me that their daily weather presenter was now in Singapore introducing our very own Merlion and Raffles Hotel. Mr Jones appeared fascinated by our night Safari, which I vaguely remembered having brought my foreign friends there many years ago for a visit. I was glad that there were more pleasant issues about Singapore to be recalled.

The following day at Hobart was well-spent at Port Arthur Historic Site which boasts of Australia's premier convict past. This journey allowed us to cross the Tasman Bridge which the locals held in high esteem, and scrape through the Eaglehawk Neck and the Blow Hole. I decided to give Richmond town a miss, since it was similarly an old convict site, albeit the captivating Georgian village set.

My days in Hobart were completed with a short tour to the Cadbury Chocolate Factory in the morning, followed by a drive up to Mount Wellington and Mount Nelson. This was perhaps the first tour in my life that I had scaled so many mountains, not to mention the Grampians later on at Melbourne. It was the perfect weather: cool with the glowing sun. The views from above were spectacular, with almost the whole of Hobart in presentation.

The most memorable part of the day had to be that of the city and suburb sights that we went through. The guide was extremely professional and knowledgeable, driving us diligently around most of the destinations and more valuably, the outskirts and residential areas which we would have conveniently missed if we had travelled by ourselves. It was PARADISE! The beautiful cottages mounted on the slopes with vivid autumnal colourings preceding leaf drop......MESMERISING......I simply gave up clicking away on my camera as I savoured every moment and detail of it. It was a sight worth reliving for.

It was a pity that I could not catch every word that the guide had mouthed. In fact it was tad embarrassing when I had problems adjusting to his strong Ozzie accent and needed him to slow down or repeat things he said. I never really had this problem with other Australians and I certainly hope that this would not leave him with any doubts about Singaporeans' standard of the English language.

I had to forego the Tasmanian Royal Botanical Gardens and the Cenotaph before I flew back to Melbourne due to time constraints. Mrs Jones was raving about them and I personally love basking in the company of floras and fauna, more so in the delight of autumn. I missed visiting the museums and galleries too in town, and wished I had stayed longer. Most of the travellers spent months touring the whole of Tasmania, driving in a loop from the north to the south and back to the north. I would never have been able to achieve that unless I retire or am jobless, which in this case, I'll be confined to backpacking.

I truly enjoy my experience and treasure the memories of the Blooming Tasmania.